Being a fourth grade teacher, every web tool that was presented in this course was relevant. Most of the web tools that were presented in this course I had never used or heard about before. The wikis, blogs, RSS feeds, animoto, and Wordle were all new to me. I also learned the difference between a blog and a wiki. Since I started this course, I have talked to my principal about setting up a blog for my fourth grade students on my blackboard site. She and I are very excited about implementing this idea in my lessons. Every week I will ask a critical-thinking question in relation to the topic that we are covering that week and they will have until Friday to answer the question. I will have it set up so that I will be able to accept or decline the answers. This will be a learning experience not only for my students, but for me as well.
Even though I completed all of my assignments, I still need to work on my writing and references. I believe that with time and practice my writing and ability to cite references correctly will get better. I haven’t written a research paper in while, so I need to learn how to cite in APA style again. I also had trouble following the different documents in Epic. For example, the course overview in the announcement section, the course overview that was posted in assignments, and the to-do-list all had different information. This course was very overwhelming because it was a lot of work and research, so I struggled to find out what exactly I had to complete for each week’s assignment. Epic could be a great system, but they must find a way to present information without it being scattered throughout the system. This was my first course, so by next course I hope maneuvering and finding information will become easier.
During these past five weeks, I have learned about different ways that I can implement technology in my lessons. I also learned that I am not as “Tech Savvy” as I thought I was. I have come to a turning point in my life where I just don’t want to be a good teacher but, a great teacher. I realize in order to become that great teacher, I must teach my students the basic technological skills so that they can have an equal opportunity to succeed in this digital world. Some say implementing technology in younger grades is a waste of time but from this course I have learned that it is never too early to introduce basic technology skills to students. I have also learned a lot about myself from this course. I learned that when I am put to a test I will always pass because I believe in myself. Plenty of nights I thought I wouldn’t be able to finish the assignments but in the end I pushed myself and I was able to complete all of the assignments. I can now say that I am a better and stronger person. I always have considered myself a leader, but now I want to be the best leader and teacher. I feel that this program will help me achieve these goals.
No comments:
Post a Comment